Wharton County Junior College is a public, two-year, comprehensive community college offering a wide range of post-secondary educational programs and services including associate degrees, certificates, continuing-education courses, cultural affairs, and leisure-time activities for the benefit of the community and a population of students that varies in age, background, and ability.
The college affords opportunities for individual growth and expression and promotes the development of the total person through scholarly and creative activity and the application of knowledge for the good of society. Its curricular and co-curricular activities lay a foundation for lifelong learning and involved citizenship and encourage the pursuit of knowledge, innovation, experimentation, and excellence in human endeavor. It prepares students for entry-level positions, for advancement in various occupations and professions, for a broad understanding of the liberal arts and sciences, and for transfer to baccalaureate granting institutions.
In fulfilling its mission, the college:
- Offers associate of arts, associate of arts in teaching, and associate of applied science degrees;
- Offers transfer curricula in preparation for the baccalaureate degree;
- Offers career/vocational curricula leading to certificates and associate degrees;
- Offers remedial and developmental courses and services, as well as adult basic education, to assist under-prepared students to achieve competency in basic skills and thus gain access to college-level programs;
- Supports excellence in instruction in all academic areas by the encouragement of faculty professional development for the improvement of teaching and learning through innovative teaching methodologies, research and public service;
- Provides library and other instructional resources as integral parts of the educational process;
- Supports students in the learning process through counseling and academic advising;
- Offers continuing-education noncredit courses and programs to meet the needs of business, industry, government, and the community-at-large, and to contribute to the economic development of its service region;
- Provides varied cultural opportunities, recreational activities, and community services
to enhance the quality of life in its service region;
- Actively cooperates with school districts, vocational-technical schools, other colleges, and universities to promote a more productive educational environment within its service region;
- Encourages the innovative and effective use of technology to increase and enrich educational opportunities for students and the community.
Wharton County Junior College is an institution that emphasizes personal attention to students, innovation and flexibility in its credit and noncredit offerings, and responsiveness to the diversity of communities it serves. The college is dedicated to providing an educational environment that recognizes individuality, stresses the importance of human relationships, and reflects the democratic values of our society.
Approved by the WCJC Board of Trustees
May 15, 2018